December 15, 2022
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
PRC has been working with immigration needs around the York Detention Center since 2019. In 2021, ICE moved its immigration detention center from York County to Phillisburg, PA. The Moshannon facility has a capacity of over 1800 beds. This shift in location is forcing us to build a new network of volunteers in the State College area.
PRC routinely receives referrals from PA Immigration Resource Center (PIRC) for clients’ needs beyond legal aid. PRC provides:
- Cycling Bond Fund: originally set up for immigrants detained at York Detention Center, after York closed went to others detained in PA, currently depleted
- Travel Kits: provide basics to ease someone’s long journey when they are released from detention – snacks, water, toiletries, cell phone with minutes, winter clothing if needed
- Resettlement: some people are released, but have no friends or relatives able to accept them
- Quarantine Sites: working with ICE, we set up a quarantine site during COVID for released detainees to help stem the spread of the virus
- And other requests from PIRC attorneys as needs arise
We are already receiving calls from PIRC with Moshannon clients in need of transportation, travel kits, and hosting, so we want to focus on getting volunteers in place to assist us with those requests as soon as possible.
We are hosting a Zoom conversation on Thursday, December 15, 7-8pm (Zoom info below). Registration is appreciated. Please feel free to share this information with others who might be interested. If you are unable to attend at that time, please register and we will send the recording to you afterwards.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 896 1817 5975
Venue: Virtual Meeting Space